As the men of the South Country were called up and drawn off to World War II, the women stepped in to fill the void. They kept the home together, drove tractors, ploughed fields, put up hay, and maintained the stock.
Organized groups were established in British Columbia, such as the Women’s Volunteer Service and later the Canadian Women’s Army Corps, but this did not keep the farms going and the food supply intact.
The Triangle Women’s Institute members, with their tradition of service and community, rallied and kept the home front secure.
By 1940 they were raising money for Red Cross work.
Heeding the federal government call, they placed around $600 into War Bonds – all funds raised through the hard work of bake sales, catering, and bazaars.
The women made gift packages and mailed them to soldiers overseas – socks, toques, gloves, cigarettes, and small things to raise a soldier’s spirits.
They pushed a resolution to provide free railway transportation for the men and petitioned the government to defer one member’s son to keep the farm producing food.
Support work continued with War Stamp drives to raise more funds for the war effort. In addition, the TWI liaised with the War Time Prices and Trade Board to keep staples attainable for rural women.
As the war continued, the Institute expanded its caring reach, embracing and donating to the Greek Relief, the Aid to Russia, the Chinese Relief, and Jam for Britain funds.
TWI continued local work, such as collecting clothes for refugee women and gathering metal scrap for reprocessing into war machinery.
With the turbulence and uncertainty of WWII, the women sent cigarettes to soldiers and buoyed community spirit. Members were everywhere, fighting the gloom and doom of the reality of war.
With the cessation of hostilities in 1945, the TWI constructed an Honour Roll of South Country soldiers in service and placed it in the Community Hall.
They also started a campaign to remember the men in military hospitals at Christmas.